Wednesday, August 15, 2012

MIND OVER MONSTERS - Jennifer Harlow



Favorite phrases:
"Like most social outcasts who inherited the shy gene, books became my best friend....Most of my paycheck went to Barnes and Noble. I knew everyone there by name."

"The moment he knocks one into a tree or a tombstone, another seems to take its place in the line, like a zombie Pez dispenser."

"I really much prefer zombies without teeth. This is much better. Nice stroll through the body parts."

Favorite chapter title:
A Machete is a Girl's Best Friend
*************
The whole book is a joy to read! The above is just a sample of the dialogue throughout. In another writer's hands, this could have become annoying, but Jennifer Harlow writes soft snark wonderfully.
I could easily identify with Beatrice and her love of solitude and books. Her involvement with FREAKS is exactly how it would go 'in real life'...Beatrice is amazed to be asked to join and even more astounded to find out who (and what) she'll be working with.

I cannot wait to read the rest of the series as it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment